School is in full swing with the first week of kindergarten in the books and we couldn’t be more excited!! In our house we have an outfit for everything and that includes the first day of school. For this very occasion my little miss wore her new SisBoom Sally and loved it.
Sally is a favorite for several reasons…there are no closures, its easy for my daughter to take on and off and it can be layered for the colder months. But what makes this Sally even more amazing are the large outside pockets I have added (continue reading for a full tutorial). Pockets are a big deal in our house and because of that I’m always having to check them before doing laundry.
I lined the bodice on this dress (there is a great tutorial in the Facebook group) instead of using bias tape around the neckline and arm holes. I wanted the inside of the dress to match the inside of the pockets.
I like the inside of my pocket to be just as pretty as the outside, so I have written this tutorial to include a pocket lining. If you don’t want that extra step or want to save on fabric you will only need to cut two pocket pieces and skip step two.
1. Download pattern here
Pocket Piece- cut 4
2”x4-1/2” Binding strip in coordinating fabric- cut 2
2. With right sides together, sew along the curved edge of the pocket. Trim SA with pinking shears or clip with scissors. Turn right side out and press. Repeat with the second pocket.
3. Make a gathering stitch along the top of the pocket. Pull the bobbin threads until your pocket is roughly half the original width.
4. To create the binding strip, fold the strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press. This crease will be your guide. Take the top raw edge and fold down to the center crease and press. Fold the bottom raw edge to the center crease and press. Unfold. Along both short raw edges, fold the strip in 1/4 inch, bringing wrong sides together and press.
5. With right sides together, match the top raw edge of your binding strip to the top raw edge of the gathered pocket. Sew across the top crease, making sure to sew the 1/4” SA at the short ends of the binding strip to the pocket for a clean finish.
6. Fold the binding strip over the raw edges to the wrong side of the pocket and press flat. Fold in the bottom crease of the binding strip and close by top stitching or stitching in the ditch.
7. Pin the pocket in place and top stitch to your Sally dress. Congratulations you have a beautiful Sally dress with a gathered pocket.
SisBoom Pattern Co. is offering 40% off all patterns until September 4th using the code BACK2SCHOOL! You can also enter any SisBoom sew between August 1st and Sept 10 in the back to school sew-a-long on the Facebook group for a chance to win your pattern of choice.
Ok it’s GIVEAWAY time!!
Leave a comment below with the best hack to your favorite pattern to be entered to win your very own copy of Sally. For additional entries, follow me on Instagramand like my Facebook page. Please let me know in your comments so I can count them 😉 A random winner will be chosen September 3rd. Good luck!
Thanks for Stopping in on the Sis Boom Blog tour!
We are excited to announce that our bloggers EACH have a pattern giveaway on their posts! Everyday something new; so be sure to follow along with this tour!
August 22 Paisley Roots / August 23 Cookies n’ Bees / August 24 Tina Sew Tiny / August 25 Screeching Dinosaur / August 26 PearBerry Lane / August 29 Troops To Tots / August 30 A Crazy Craft Lady / August 31 Glitter in My Coffee / September 1 Sunflower Seams / September 2 Adventures with Bubba and Bug
I am very excited Sisboom decided to put on a Holiday blog tour. I had…
This has been a day in the making for the past few months and I…